Monday, December 12, 2011

Corona Familiar

Corona Familiar is something of an enigma wrapped in a riddle for me. I really want to believe that this beer isn't the same exact thing as Corona Extra as it seems from some places on the internet to be listed as the same. It is at least different in a major way for me based on the experience of drinking it. A regular 12 oz Corona Extra is something I have never poured into a glass, I have just always had it in the bottle (with or without a lime wedge) and a clear bottle at that. This Corona Familiar came in a much larger brown bottle, which was quite a departure from the clear painted bottles of Corona Extra and when I tried it, I poured it into a glass (without lime). The consensus that I have found on the web is that whether this is the same beer recipe it does taste different (better) even when doing a side-by-side tasting, which is more effort than I am ready to put into it. Either way, Corona Familiar is brewed in Mexico by Grupo Modelo. I found the Corona Familiar at Fred Meyer in the Lake City neighborhood of Seattle last month and tried it a day or two later.
Here is a Beer Advocate (Corona Extra) review and the RateBeer link that states it is the same as Corona Extra.

No comments:

Post a Comment